GitHub's renaming master branch to main. Chris and Josey discuss the choice, other potentially charged terms in the IT world, the history of the words, and explore options.
- Why change the core branch name?
- What implications does this have on the IT world?
- Is it too far, not far enough?
- Is there something to be learned from this?
MUSIC FROM THE CCMIXTER COMMUNITY
Snazzy Intro: On Top of the World by texasradiofish (c) copyright 2015 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/texasradiofish/50478 Ft: John Fletcher, Patricia Edwards, ElRon XChile, Speck, alexplaysguitar
Live Show Starting Soon: cdk - Sunday by Analog By Nature (c) copyright 2016 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/cdk/53755
Live Show Outro: ＭＩＬＬＥＮＮＩＡＬＳ by Analog By Nature (c) copyright 2018 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/cdk/57150
- GitHub to replace "master" with alternative term to avoid slavery references | ZDNet
- bitkeeper/HOWTO.ask at master · bitkeeper-scm/bitkeeper
- Re: Replacing "master" reference in git branch names (was Re: Proposal:
- Terminology, Power and Oppressive Language
- Easily rename your Git default branch from master to main - Scott Hanselman
- Why You Get Spooked From 4th Wall Breaks | Psych of Play - YouTube
- Would You Rather be “Correct" or Creative? | Psych of Play - YouTube